“We went from just another vendor communicating features and benefits to the preferred vendor communicating profound business value… and the shift occurred virtually overnight.”

Robert LauttCEO, A3 Solutions
  Twitter   LinkedIn  Blog

Press Releases

Silver Bullet Group Publishes Solutions to the Six Biggest Problems with BtoB Sales Support Training


WALNUT CREEK, CA — May 19, 2009 — Companies both large and small realize the absolute necessity of having a top-notch, high-functioning sales force and spend a great deal of time and money in training and motivating their sales teams. It stands to reason that those companies’ sales training regimens should be every bit as good as they want their salespeople to be, yet way too many fall short.

In his latest article written for the quarterly Silver Bullet Group newsletter, Sales Messaging Matters, leading sales and marketing effectiveness expert Michael Cannon hones in on the six problems that most often derail sales training programs produced by Marketing — problems that keep Marketing from providing salespeople with just what they need to maximize their efforts. In his article, “Solving the Six Biggest Problems with BtoB Sales Support Training”, Cannon defines the six most serious problems bedeviling many companies’ sales training and offers time-tested, actionable solutions for each of them. “Addressing these six problems head-on,” says Cannon, “is a ‘must’ because, in the end, it’s critical that Marketing delivers training that gets Sales excited, confident, and committed to ‘start selling’ the value of its company’s products and services.”

The first problem Cannon covers in his article is that training is not developed in the context of how Sales learns. He points out that only 10% of what the sales force learns comes from typical sales training programs. The remaining 90% of the learning occurs just before or after a sales call. The primary learning resources are sales tools such as PowerPoint presentations, objection guides, etc.; marketing collateral, such as brochures, and customer case studies; and the input of internal experts, such as sales and product managers, sales engineers and other salespeople. Thus sales training needs to augment and support these tools in the training time allotted, rather than trying to teach as much of the content as possible. Another of the six major problems with sales training programs is that the training model is not correct, i.e., most companies focus only on technical product and sales skills training. What is missing is training that aligns more with the needs of inside/outside and channel sales teams. This type of training is called sales enablement training. It motivates Sales and provides it with just what it needs to “start selling” the value of the company’s products. Solving all six of the problems defined in Cannon’s article empowers Marketing to produce great sales training and enables Sales to win more deals, faster.


To read the article in its entirety, visit: http://silverbulletgroup.com/resources/?BtoB_Training.

Members of the media interested in scheduling an interview with Mr. Cannon to discuss his remarks may contact Teri Yazdi at the phone number or e-mail address listed above.

About Michael Cannon

Michael Cannon is an internationally renowned sales and marketing effectiveness expert and a best-selling author, most recently coauthoring with Jay Conrad Levinson (Guerrilla Marketing), et al., Marketing Strategies That Really Work! Promote Your Way to Millions.

About Silver Bullet Group, Inc.

As the global leader in messaging effectiveness solutions, we help BtoB companies generate more revenue from their sales and marketing investments by improving both the words (messaging) and the tools they use to persuade people to buy from them. To learn more, visit silverbulletgroup.com.



Print pagePDF pageEmail page

Comments are closed.

Contact SilverBullet Group NowRequest Information


See what persuasive battle cards look like Register Now